Thursday, June 3, 2010

Show and Tell



In a society where having paper means more than having skills, how the hell am I supposed to get a job in the art field without some sort of degree? I guess I'm not the only one with this dilemma. Many of us talented artists out there end up in dead end jobs, settling for a stable minimum wage rather than taking the chance of putting themselves out there in the hopes that their art work will speak for itself to a more suitable employer. Where do I fit? probably somewhere in the middle. I want the exposure, but I'm not quite sure how to get it...and so, I create this blog in an attempt at showing just what I'm capable of...Greatness!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what it's like over there in America, but here in Australia when it comes to success as an artist the "paper" is kind of secondary to experience, connections and additional skills you pick up while at art school. Apply for shows, competitions and whatnot your work might fit, go to openings and talk to people, see if you can volunteer at galleries and stuff... it should all help in some way. Even if you don't network efficiently or whatever, being in shows looks damn good on an artist CV. Always keep in mind that actual "employment" in the visual arts isn't as readily available as it is in other fields, though. When I graduate at the end of the year I'll probably be in the exact same position as you :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your advice Oscar (and such a speedy response too!). I definitely have to do some networking. Not to sound unpatriotic, but sometimes... or rather, MOST of the time, the good ole' US of A is a bit backwards when it comes to this sort of thing, making it hard for the "starving artists" and working class to get a decent job in their desired field unless they have a degree. Because of some financial mistakes on my part, I never completed college (their goes my piece of paper), and so, unless I network properly, I will be stuck flipping burgers at at fast food joint... Ah, the beauty of Capitalism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahdear. I have to say, Austalia's got a less than glowing history of support for the arts. With the change of government here in '07 things have started to pick up a bit, but there's nowhere near the support here that there is in a lot of places like many of the European countries and whatnot.

    Best of luck with it all, though, and keep a constant eye out for exhibitions/volunteer opportunitites you can put on a CV. Experience can always be a substitute for bits of paper when it comes to art :P

    ReplyDelete